August 28, 2014

Not playing with a full deck

So I got a whole whopping 4 people who read my last post. lol I guess not blogging for a few months really took it's toll. lol Oh well.

So after our move we started to get settled. We got situated with our new nursing company. We used the same company just a different office than last time.

   Our first nurse (We will call her Nurse A) showed up her first day looking awful. I was a little surprised. But to be fair the last few months I looked pretty dang awful as well. So onward and upward. I just did not feel comfortable with her since the first day. I kept brushing it off as I was just being over protective, and a worry wart. But it was always a nagging feeling.

Every day for almost a month a drove back and forth from my parents house to our new place. I would unpack and assess the damage. I had to take pictures and document it all. Every day I left I didn't want to leave my baby bear with her. But I had to.  I called the nursing company a few times and told them how uncomfortable I was.  One day when it was time for her to arrive she just walked into my parents house instead of knocking or ringing the doorbell. I was really taken aback that someone would just walk into someone Else's home without being invited in. She was constantly complaining to the neighbors how we were working her 8 hours a day 6 days a week, and it was just to much. Yet she was getting angry that we were searching for another nurse to take some of the slack. Another day she came running in the house from being outside with my son and puked her guts out in the bathroom. I sent her home for the rest of the shift and sanitized everything she had touched praying Riley wouldn't get sick. She texted me that evening telling me it was because she had been off of her meds for months and since she had insurance again she took them and all her shots all at once. Ummm I have no medical education or training and I know better than to do that. I gave her 3 days off to recover. When she came back she gave us her 12 year old daughters toddler bed that she had in storage and gave it to Riley because we didn't have one. I thought that was really sweet of her. I left it at my parents while I was still trying to put our new house together.  I called the nursing company again and expressed my concerns and how I couldn't pin point one thing, but that I had a bad feeling that wouldn't go away. I also asked for them to find a new nurse to replace her. Well they decided to just call her and tell her all these things while she was still on her shift. what?!!! It got really uncomfortable and weird the last two hours she was there that day.  The next day she came in and sat down at the table and started bawling about how much she needed the job, and she wanted to make things work. I felt totally ambushed and the fact that she did this in front of my kid was not okay.
   After we calmed her down. I contacted the nursing company pissed. I should have been warned that my concerns and my comments were being shared outside our private conversation. They convinced me to give her one last chance. She forgot to close the med port on my son's extension so for two hours of his feeding it pumped all over my parents leather couches and on him. She blamed it on the bag saying it was bad and threw it out without asking me. These are expensive and you only get 4 a month. We have to make them last. I asked several times if it was the med port open and she kept telling me no it was the bag. When I checked the garbage to see it, what do you know the med port was open. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if she would have noticed the mistake and owned it. Instead she denied it and wasn't even looking to see if that was in fact the problem and an easier fix.

   We got a second nurse (Nurse B we will call her) and she was also hired for full time, but would be starting out as part time until we got into our new place. Nurse A was not happy that nurse B was also to be full time. Ummm okay it isn't her decision. I never felt comfortable with Nurse A being alone with Riley. Someone was always home to keep an eye out. My poor family really had to work around that and made a few sacrifices to help us out. I am so thankful we had family around to help. I think it was about two weeks after nurse B started Nurse A got an e-mail that I had approved from the nursing company stating that her hours would be reduced just a few in order to even out the hours a bit so Nurse B could also keep working for us. Sounds fair as they are both adults and have bills to pay and a roof to keep over their head. I was only expecting to be in our situation another week until we could move into our new place. Also in the e-mail she was informed that we had hired nurse C to fill in with when others needed a day off, to fill in, or someone was sick. nurse C was just a back up person who did not live close, but could help out if in need. Well Nurse A threw a huge temper tantrum. She called the nursing company and yelled at them. She was mad because she would go to part time for a week, maybe two. She gave her two weeks notice. They tried to calm her down. The e-mail that was sent was very fair and okay. And she new since her first day we would have more than one nurse. She was mad because she needed the hours. (yet she was constantly complaining to the neighbors about the hours and how many days she had to work.) She then told the nursing company she was quitting and to have nurse B come now to finish the shift.

    The nursing company called me and told me, and I hurried back to my parent as fast as I could. When I got to my parents she had left. I was furious. It was sooo not okay for her to just leave like that it isn't allowed in her paperwork for her to leave my son with anyone else but me. I didn't want to have to run into her, and am glad I didn't have to. But the fact she couldn't keep herself in check and finish it out till I got back is unprofessional.  She was crying and all upset and got Riley really upset. He talked about it for about a week afterwards. She was at the neighbors when she did this. So then she had to stop him from playing with his friends, then make him go home. He was upset and confused. She was crying and being all sorts of weird. She barely filled out the right paperwork and had my mom sign it before she left. My father came in and took Riley out to get him away from her. Then on her way out she tells them I'm taking my bed back. So she loaded the toddler bed back in her car after giving it to my son. Ummmm okay what is she like 12?

    I have tossed the idea back and forth several times about calling the state licensing board and letting them know about her and then if they choose to do something fine at least I gave them the info. That way if something like this happens again and it is reported they can see a pattern. I am not sure though. To call the board and report someone is a huge thing. But at the same time she seems really unstable. What would you do? As a parent I don't want someone so emotionally unstable to upset another child like that. I don't know what to do. It's been two wonderful months since she has been gone, and I still wonder what I should do. I know I need to act soon, but am torn on what to do. I know to become an RN you have to go through a lot of schooling and hard work. She passed that. But has been fired or quit all her nursing jobs in the last two years because she couldn't handle it. IDK.

Now we have to awesome nurses that we love. They do such a great job and are part of the family. One in particular I have really bonded with. We have so much in common and I adore her.

So with the great nursing care we have now, I am able to really work on improving me. ;0)

XoXo- Mama Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment