August 23, 2014

The Big Move!

Ohhh where to start.

So May 21 was the start of the big move.  It was set up as a 2 day pack and 1 day move.  

So the first day packers showed up and seemed to be doing good. That was until the evening came and they went home. I found that one of the packers couldn't figure out how to close my son's toy chest. So he forced it shut ripping the swing arm out. Then he didn't even tell me he did that. They all spoke Spanish the whole time around me. It made things uncomfortable.
 The second packer I found had opened the Tiki punch I had bought for bears and the move. It was brand new. He opened it and drank it with one of my glasses. Then he didn't rinse it out and pack it with the others. He just left it in my sink. grrrrrrr
      The third packer was the worst.  He broke and ruined a lot of things. I was in tears as I was going through the mess he made. He didn't even bother to use packing paper or follow any directions I had asked of him. He did a lot of damage.  So that night I e-mailed our main company with pictures of the damage. They responded and the next day a new team was sent out.

The second day team of packers were a lot better.  I still found a lot of mess from them. But they were nice and did a pretty good job. But what stank was they showed at 9 a.m. and worked until 12:30 a.m. Our poor nurse couldn't stay that late.

The third day I kept telling the moving team we had a lot of stuff, and to show up early. They kept telling me its fine we will be there by 11. I told them over and over they had to come earlier and to trust me. And at the least to bring 4 people because  they also had to bring a shuttle and while two are offloading, 2 can be reloading. All they did was argue. But hey they did show up at 9 with 4 people. phew!!

The third day went pretty well. And even with 4 or 5 (I can't remember) pick-up loads full of stuff I had donated, and the loads of stuff I got rid of. We still filled an entire semi. WOW! But yah I guess 14 years of marriage and accumulation will do that. lol  The 2nd day of packing, and the 3rd day moving day I kept asking the driver of the truck, and calling the company when my House Hold Goods would be delivered. The driver kept telling me he didn't know, and the company wouldn't call me back. This went on for a week with no returned phone calls. I mean I get it if you don't know who is delivering the stuff or when, the human thing to do is call your customer back and tell them I am sorry I don't know but I am working on it.    So I called the east Coast company in charge and they fired the moving company. But now what happens to my stuff.

    Well a company called Grable picked up my stuff. Turns out they couldn't just pick up the trailer and haul it. Nooooo all my belongings had to be offloaded from the truck, unwrapped from the blankets and such, and then re wrapped in Grable's blankets and reloaded in Grable's truck. So it had been loaded in the order it was to be unloaded. With the items that were to go to my house at the back of the trailer, and the items I needed to store at the front. Now it was a mess.  The new truck driver called me while he was loading his truck and asked me 12 times..... got it 12 how many bookcases went to each location. Really because it was so hard. 2 went to the first stop. My house. and 3 went to the second location. Ughhhhh He still couldn't get it. IDIOT!!

    So another week after he picked up my belongings the Grable driver finally drove from California to Utah. Why it took so long I do not understand. (he didn't have any other deliveries)

So after way to long our HHG's were finally delivered.  It was a mess. Our driver was such a creeper.  When I met him he pulled me aside and asked me to sign the paperwork and lie saying he had rented a shuttle to move our belongings to our house since he couldn't pull the semi close to the apartment. I had told him for a week he had to do this but he wouldn't listen. Then when it came down to it. He said if he went to do this it would take at least 2 hours and we would lose all that time. Jerk.

So for 3 hours the movers who were actually pretty cool. offloaded the semi. Some things were mixed up like what was to go to each location. So they would set it aside for the second drop off. The driver started getting really pissy with me stating I should have told him ahead of time about it. Ummm pretty sure this move was already a mess and the first semi was packed right. Sorry you got the bad end of the stick.  The driver refused to help his workers. I had never seen that before. Normally the driver wants to make sure things are okay, and helps. But this guy was a real jerk. He even started arguing with me and my dad. He was horrible insulting my dad, and I was so shocked by it.  He kept asking my dad why I couldn't just move in with my parents. And I kindly explained they had both just retired and bought a smaller retirement home and also I needed a home to take care of my son. He even looked at my dad and said "C'mon man why you gotta do her like that? That's just wrong man."  WOW!!! Pretty sure his opinion was not asked for. And then he just kept insulting him over and over. I wanted to yell at him and scream. but my belongings were in his truck!!! My dad had to leave he was so angry.

    At one point the driver who didn't know I could hear him told his moving team that he hated the military. Really man? I am pretty sure the military is the one paying for this move. Jerk.

So halfway through the truck the driver declared my house was to full, and he wouldn't unload any more. I went in and checked and the house still had tons of room. I went back to the truck and told them a few of the larger pieces still had to be offloaded before he stopped because I couldn't move them by myself. He refused and sat and argued with me until I caved. Grrrrrrrr He then went into my house and started taking pictures of my belongings. So not cool. I told him I didn't feel comfortable with it and to please stop. I had to tell him to stop 3 times and to get out before he actually did. Creeper!

    So we went to the second location my parents house. Well I had planned for everything just perfectly but now with this tool of a driver all the items being delivered to my parents wasn't going to fit. So most of my stuff was at my parents now.  My dad has a very beautiful old car that he has put a lot of time into restoring. He covered it so the driver couldn't see it. He didn't like this guy and I agree with him. The driver showed up and kept asking what kind of car it was. My dad kept telling him it was an old junker and the driver kept saying "c'mon man is it like a gangsta car?" Ughhhhhh  he was such a snake and a slimeball!!!
And with not enough room to store it all it sat in the garage and in the driveway for a month getting rained on and super dusty. I had covered it with tarps but that can only protect it so much.

A month later I was able to move into my place. The damage I found from unpacking was awful. after I finished unpacking it all. And found all but 3 boxes and my power drill.  I was able to move in and get settled. After I filled out all the claims forms the total in damages came out to $9,304.00   We have had an inspector come out to check the damage and now we wait to see how much if any they will reimburse.   But this is just the outline of what happened. I would share the pictures of the damage, but I have over 200 and it's a lot of damage. I just don't even know where to start. Ughhhhh

It was a lot of stress to deal with.  But I am slowly figuring this whole thing out.

XoXo- Mama Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment