February 12, 2010

Confessions from a Neglected Kitchen

This week was a busy week for baking. I tried two different recipes, and I have to say they turned out pretty good. The first recipe I did was a recipe from my beautiful friend T!! She is not only beautiful, but amazing and talented as well. Thanks T for sharing this!! Here is the recipe, and some pics of the end result!! ;0)

T's Famous Banana Bread!

(I doubled this recipe,and it made 2 large loaves.)

In one bowl, combine:

1/2 stick butter, softened
2 eggs
2-3 bananas
2/3 C sugar

In another bowl, combine:

1 1/3 C flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix 'til blended.
Pour into greased pan(s); fill 2/3 full.

I usually double the recipe and it makes 5 small loafs...

Streusel Topping:
1/4 C brown sugar
3 T flour
2 T butter, melted

Stir together, then divide evenly between loaves, sprinkle on top of batter.

Bake at 350.
Small loaves take between 35-45 minutes. Dark pans take less time than the disposable foil pans.
Large loaves take apx 50 minutes. (Again, depends on the kind of pan.)




Next I made just some basic brownies for my institute class for a valentines day treat! The brownies turned out great. I just used a basic package recipe, but added sugar and vanilla to it as well. I think it gives the brownies a little something extra when I do this. I made 24 small heart shaped brownies, then made a buttercream frosting for them. Now I am positive you cannot mess up buttercream. You can keep adding things to it, and it still tastes great! When I first tried to frost the 1st dozen, I tried using a frosting bag, but it didn't turn out so well. it just globed on top. Then I tried to spread it out, but that looked bad as well. Then I made some more frosting, and made it a little more runny, and dipped them, and that is when it turned out well. My class loved them, and Chuck is gobbling them up as well. ;0) Two recipes in one week that turned out well!! Saweet! Here are pics of the brownies, and the buttercream recipe that is awesome!







Best Butter Cream Ever!

1/3 Cup butter, softened
1/4 Cup cream or evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients together, and add food coloring if desired. If you need more, feel free to add more powdered sugar, and either evaporated milk, or low fat milk. the more sugar you add, the thicker it is and easier to spread on a cake. The more milk you add, the creamier it is, and it is easier to dip a brownie, chocolate, doughnut, or cinnamon roll in. I usually add a little vanilla to this, and some mint and butter extract as well. Doubling the recipe works great, and you can store the frosting in the fridge for ages so you can spread some on pumpkin bread, or cookies! I hope you enjoy!

I promised I would give you this recipe, here it is, but I don't have pics. FYI- it is impossible to mess this recipe up. ;0)


Nonnie's Chicken Casserole

5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 celery stalks
1 white onion
2 packs stove top stuffing (chicken)
2 cans chicken broth
3 packs chicken gravy
1/2 cube butter (or two large spoon fulls)
2 c. water

Cut chicken, celery, and onion into small bite size pieces. Stir in frying pan until chicken is cooked.

Add stove top and chicken broth while stirring.

Add butter

Add 3 packs of gravy mix and water, and stir together.

Let stand until stove top is light and fluffy.

Pour everything into a large casserole dish, and pop into the oven for one hour at 375 make sure you have a thin crust on the casserole when you pull it out.

Let cool for a few minutes, and then serve! It is really yummy. You can also change the chicken ingredients and use left over turkey from the holidays, and it tastes just as great! This makes great leftovers, and tastes just as good cold, as it does hot. ;0)



Love you all-

XoXo-Andrea Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment