February 18, 2010

Gelato...Shmelato!



Before you get defensive about this stuff.....I want it noted that I did try something new. I gave it a try, and I found it not worthy of all this hype. When Chuck was in Australia he called me raving about this ice cream that was the bomb digitty. He said it was gelato, and flippin awesome. I love me some good ice cream, so I have wanted to try. Well Chuck has been on a mission to find a Gelato store around in this are, and today thought he would take me out on a hot date to a place he found in Walnut Creek. I was a little excited, but skeptical as usual. When we walked in, it looked all wet and shiny...not like ice cream at all. But I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, so I tried a sample of my favorite kind....Cookies and Cream. Ewwww It tasted malty to me. So I tried a few more. White Chocolate, mint, Chocolate, and some I don't even know what they were called, but they looked pretty. Each one did not taste worth the money. Then Chuck got a cone, and I was feeling bad, because he was so excited for me to try this, but I just wasn't feeling it. So I tried one more. Mint Chip. It tasted like a frost bitten mint chocolate chip ice cream. I felt preassured, so i got a cone with it. I wish he would have warned me how sugary it really is. I ate it, didn't think it was worth the money, and then 20 minutes later I almost needed help getting to the car because my body was freaking out by having to much sugar and I didn't have anything to balance it out with.

So in my opinion it is not all that, and it is a waste of money. Sorry to all those fans out there, but I feel pretty stongly about this. It looks pretty, but that is about it! Save your penny's and go get some good ole ice cream instead!

XoXo-Andrea Carla

1 comment:

  1. I love Gelato! But there are actually a few main differences between gelato and ice cream that I don't think most American Gelato recipes follow.
    Ice cream has a minimum of 10 percent fat, gelato is made with a greater proportion of whole milk to cream, so it contains less fat.

    Gelato is churned at a slower speed than ice cream(this is the part most American's get wrong), so it's denser because not as much air is whipped into the mixture. (Gelato contains about 25 to 30 percent air, while ice cream contains as much as 50 percent air) Also, ice cream is served frozen, gelato is stored and served at a warmer temperature, so it's not quite completely frozen. I have tried several Gelato shops around the States and I've only found one that I believe was truly Gelato...and it was wonderful! I'm so glad you tried something new!! I just wish you had a better experience lol. BTW-Coconut is my fave flavor of Gelato.

    ReplyDelete